Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Movie Meme!

This time, I was tagged by Julie over at Flip This Body. On Tuesday. It just takes me awhile to get to these. However, I am finding the memes make a great weekend blog! And I want to make sure I give credit to Morgen over at It’s a Blog Eat Blog World for creating the Movie Meme!!


1. The last movie you saw in a theatre, and current-release movie you still want to see. This is really 2 questions in one, so I'll answer them as so...

1a. Last movie I saw in a theatre - Little Miss Sunshine

This was a wonderful movie. It was funny and very touching. I loved it. Steve Carrell is a genius! And the ending? Best. Ending. Ever. I can’t even hint at it because I don’t want to give anything away. You just have to see it!

1b. Current release movie I still want to see - Stranger Than Fiction

Okay, this might not actually be out yet, but I’m pretty sure it comes out this month. I think the trailer looks awesome! Emma Thompson, Will Ferrell, Queen Latifa and Dustin Hoffman?! Come on, who doesn’t want to see this movie?!


2. The last movie you rented/purchased for home viewing.

We rented Saw II - Well, we checked it out from the library, which is where I get all my movies. I’ll be damned if I’m going to spend $4 on a DVD rental. But, I digress. I had seen the first Saw, and really liked it. Since Saw III comes out next month, I needed to see Saw II, which I heard was better than the first one. It was not. Don’t get me wrong, I would still recommend it. But the first one had such a twist at the end. I LOVE that in a movie. The second one was too predictable!


3. A movie that made you laugh out loud. I’m going to cheat and list two.

Manhattan Murder Mystery – I either love Woody Allen movies or I hate them. This one, I love. It is hilarious!! I saw it twice at the theater, and I own it on video and DVD! It is a great comedy and a great mystery!!

Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle – I saw this because my husband wanted to, and I just about busted something laughing so hard. This is a funny damn movie! Especially the appearance of Neil Patrick Harris! I can’t WAIT for the sequel!


4. A movie that made you cry. It’s my damn meme – I’m listing two again.

La Vita รจ Bella (Life Is Beautiful) - God, this was a good movie. But it was seriously a two-fisted weeper. I admit that I cry easily at movies, but after this one, I was still crying on the way home. I highly recommend it, but make sure you have a couple boxes of Kleenex handy.

The Sweet Hereafter - A great book and a great movie. Atom Egoyan was nominated for Best Screenplay for this one and should have won. Great storytelling. The movie simply breaks your heart.


5. A movie that was a darling of the critics, but you didn't think lived up to the hype.

Titanic - Without a doubt. There was no freaking script!! Being a writer, I always enjoy a good script. If a movie is not well-written, it truly sucks. This movie was completely special effects. You could have easily watched the entire thing on Mute. The only reason it won so many damn Oscars was because half the voters worked on the stupid film. Grrrrr. Unfair! (And I still can’t listen to that damn song!)


6. A movie that you thought was better than the critics.

Rock N Roll High School – Okay, I honestly don’t know if this was panned by critics, but I’m going to take a wild guess and say it didn’t get great reviews. This is an awesome cult movie, with P.J. Soles fresh off her role in Halloween. The music by the Ramones is awesome! And for any kid who ever hated school, this movie rocks! If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend it!


7. Favorite animated movie.

Beauty and the Beast – So sue me, I’m a girl! I loved the stage production, and I loved the animated film. This is a wonderful movie. No ifs, ands or buts about it!


8. Favorite Disney Villain.

Don't eveng et me started about how Disney created a warped view of women since they didn't even have a freaking male villain until the 90's! But I digress.

I’m going with Cruella DeVille - She’s evil, but you’ve got to love her. She wants to kill puppies to make a coat? Who does that?!


9. Favorite movie musical.

The Sound of Music - I have loved this movie since I was a little girl. I swear to God, I learned how to sing from Julie Andrews. When I was a teenager, I truly appreciated the love story between Liesl and Rolf. And as I got older, I really understood the storyline about the Nazis and the war. It appeals to every age. It’s a love story, a family film, a musical, and a suspense film. Now that is a great movie.


10. Favorite movies of all-time (up to 5). I’m only going to list one.

North By Northwest – Hitchcock was and always will be the master. And Cary Grant? Well, there will never be anyone else like him. Again, this movie had it all. Love story, suspense, comedy, a man wrongly accused, spies, government secrets. The list goes on and on. Not to mention, my favorite line from a movie – when Cary Grant says to Eva Marie Saint, “How does a girl like you get to be a girl like you?” God, I love it.

Coincidentally, the screenplay was written by Ernest Lehman who also wrote The Sound of Music. This man could write a movie. We lost him last year at the age of 89. We will miss you, Mr. Lehman!

6 comments:

Jules said...

YES Cruella DeVille. THAT was who I was thinking of. I put Malificent, but deep in my heart I knew there was someone more evil. It's Cruella. Yeah, come to think of it, what did Disney have against women that they made them all the villians??? Was it not until Beauty & the Beast, I believe, that a male was the antagonist (Gaston?)

LOVE N x NW. Love Cary Grant. Love Hitchcock!

Irene said...

Hmmmmm. You have a point about most of these notorious baddies being female. Walt Disney must have been hugely tormented by a woman at one point in his life. Could it be he had a traumatic relationship with his mother? :p

Ian said...

Boo!

You are one of EDog's Recommended blogs for October. :)

Ian

Ian said...

Oh, and I LOVED Harold and Kumar! That's great that they're making a sequel.

"Dude...did Doogie Howser just steal my car?"

Ian

Mo and The Purries said...

great meme!
thanks for the shout out about creating it -- I appreciate it.
I totally agree about Cruella.
That is Lee's favorite villian of all-time, too -- he won a costume contest once as his Cruella -- he made the costume from scratch, including the wig!
I didn't know that Lehman wrote NXNW,too - see, learning so much about my favorite movies (I love Cary Grant ♥ ♥ & hearts; --- although my favorite of his is To Catch A Thief, I think)
but I love the songs in Sound of Music, too.
Great choices all around!
movies I still need to see: harold & kumar and little miss sunshine

thanks for sharing (and for the props!) ~morgen

Unknown said...

I love Cruella DeVille, the character is soo warped! But I have to go with my favorite villan is Meleficent (think thats how you spell it!)You know that mean witch in Sleeping Beauty! Although my favorite musical is not really exciting! I love Fiddler on the Roof. I fell in love with that one back my senior year of high school. We did it as our musical production that year (the previous year grease, then previous to that Sound of Music)and I just fell in love! I love your choice in movies!!!