Sunday, October 15, 2006

Bank robbing mommy


Do you ever have one of those days where you just feel like a complete looney-toon? Well, this happens to me a lot. (I’ll bet you’re surprised, aren’t you?) This week, I had one of those days.

Thursday was bank day. I had to go to the credit union and the bank. Whenever I walk into a financial institution (or even when I go through the drive-through), I think about robbing the place.

Now, don’t go call the police. I would never actually rob a bank. But for some reason, every time I enter one, I start to wonder how difficult it would be to get into the vault. I wonder if there really is one of those silent alarm buttons behind the desk. And I wonder if I would be smart enough to do it and not get caught. I wonder if anyone has ever tried to rob a bank while at the drive-through. I mean, you're already in the get-away car. Although, I'll bet those tellers are behind bullet-proof glass. Then I start thinking about past bank robberies. I think about Patty Hearst. She soooo should have worn a ski mask. And so should the cell phone girl.

I wonder all of this while waiting in line humming along to the muzak of “Can’t Smile Without You.”

And I don't just think about this occasionally. I seriously think about this EVERY time I walk into a bank. Right down to how long it would take me to get away. I usually back out of my delirium when I realize the police would arrive before I could get the money in the trunk and both kids strapped into their car seats.

Does this make me a crazy person? Or do I just have a warped and twisted psyche? Because up until Thursday, I honestly thought this was a normal random thought that everyone had. I made the mistake of mentioning this to my husband. “You know how when you walk into a bank, you automatically think about robbing it?” (This is where that looney-toon feeling comes in.) He looked at me as if a monkey head had just sprouted out the side of my neck. “Uh, no,” he said.

I said, “Really?! You’ve never thought about robbing a bank?”

Answer: “No.” (psycho) “Apparently, it’s just you.” (you whackadoo). Sometimes, I actually can read his mind.

Then I went to the salon for a hair appointment. At this point, I just couldn’t let it rest. I asked Cassandra (my stylist) and
Heather #1, “When you go into a bank, do you think about robbing it?”

They gave each other “the look.” They both said, “Um, no.” Great! So, apparently, I am freaking crazy.

At least I have a great Thursday 13 to work on – 13 random thoughts that cross through my mind. The bank thing is definitely #1. But I have to know – do any of you think about the whole robbing a bank thing? Anyone? Bueller?

9 comments:

sjer said...

I have a couple of times, not every time. I've always attributed it to the ex making me watch too many heist movies.

Lae said...

Hi! Nice blog! Add me to ur links http://2funnypictures.blogspot.com and let me know, i will add u, thanks :)

Julie said...

I've thought about it, but not every time. I guess I'm more focused on getting what I need and getting the hell out of there, before I have to murder one of the bank tellers for being an idiot. You're not crazy - just.....imaginative! Yeah, that's it!

ian said...

I would rob a bank.

Ian

Penny said...

Nah! I can't say that I've ever imagined robbing a bank. I have jokingly said that I should just rob a bank but that's about it. I don't think your a psycho because you do either because I have other random thoughts sometimes that would make me seem crazy. I think we all do!

Sunrunner said...

Sure I've thought about it. We've talked about different crimes, and various thoughts on motive, but that's probably due to my work. I don't think your crazy, at least no more than the rest of us!!!

slackermommy said...

I used to think about it all the time but I stopped. Not sure why. My meds must be working.

Morgen said...

Okay, I read this at home yesterday, but for some reason couldn't comment...
so, I'm in the bank this morning and when Bessie and I walk in, everyone says, "Hi Bessie! Hi Morgen!"
It's a small, small town -- is there anyone who doesn't know that Bessie & I go for coffee & donuts on Monday morning?!?!
So, even though I am known by everyone IN THE BANK, I still wonder how I could rob it.
So, yes, to answer your question: EVERY time I'm in a bank, I wonder if I could get away with robbing it.
I thought it was just me!

Stacey said...

Are you freaking kidding me? I have NEVER thought of that! You know me. That is like, never gonna happen.