Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Straight Men Don't Get Hair (June 23, 2006)

Well, I got my hair done this week. I charged it because with my anniversary, my husband's birthday, Father's Day, Georgia's birthday, and Eli's birthday falling within one month of each other, I am completely and utterly tapped. We're talking gas and food for the next week, and that's it!

Unfortunately, when I'm broke, I have a strong urge to spend money. Does anyone else get this, too? Most of the time, I'm fine, but when funds are running low, I'm just itching to buy something. Anything! A candle, a foo foo coffee, a Steve Lawrence record, it doesn't matter! So, I whipped out the Visa card and got my hair done. I got an all-over color instead of a highlight, which was a purely economical decision as a color is $20 cheaper than a highlight. As I've said before, I'm all about saving money. My husband doesn't see it that way, but I digress.

I was in the mood to do something different. Since I have the wedding coming up, I need to stay away from blue and pink, but I thought platinum blonde was safe. (I'll do anything to stay away from the "mom-do." I get called ma'am waaay too much as it is already.) So, not only is my hair shorter, it is blonde! Yes, yes, I know. It was blonde before, but now it's really blonde. I think my natural color contains the word "dishwater." That's all I had to hear years ago for motivation to open the bottle of peroxide.

Besides, color is the easiest thing to screw with because as my hairdresser said, "If you decide you hate it, we'll just add lowlights." Fabulous!

So, I come home ready for a comment. Anything from "Wow!" to "What the hell did you do to your hair?" I never know what I'm going to get. For the longest time, Eric adopted my dad's response to my mom when she comes home from the beauty shop, which is "Couldn't you get in?" Let me tell you, after spending $120 on your hair, that is not what you want to hear.
Anyway, I came home, and I waited. I played with the kids . . . and waited. I talked to Eric and got right in his face. . . nothing. Finally, I asked him, "Don't you notice anything different?"
"Well, yeah, your hair's different." And I'm purely convinced the only reason he said that is because he knew I just came from the salon. Grrrrr! Why do I bother.

When I saw my friend Aaron (my main gay) the next day, the first thing he said to me is, "Ooooo, you're blonde!" Thank you! That's all I'm asking!!

So, today may be a quick blog because I am trying desperately to get my daughter down for a nap. She is in her crib now, and she is unhappy, but I truly believe if I cross my fingers just right, she will fall asleep.

Because seriously people, I need a nap. I am tapped! Yesterday, I took my "break" when Eli was at pre-school and ran with it. We ran errands, I cleaned, I did laundry, dishes. It was amazing. I think I got more done yesterday than I have in the last two weeks. My house is spotless! Unfortunately, I zapped up all of today's energy, and while there's still a lot to do for Georgia's party tomorrow, all I can think about is turning my sound machine to babbling brook and taking a nap.

Plus, I have cramps. I hope the word "menstrual," doesn't send all my male readers scurrying, but I just have such perfect timing, I had to mention it. I only get cramps two days a month. Today is the day one, and tomorrow is day two (which sucks a big one), and then they will be gone. So, I will drug up on Motrin and open a bottle of wine, and hopefully everything will go well. At least tomorrow's Saturday.

My personal rule during the week is that I can't have a drink until after 5:00, but Saturday is a whole different ball game! The only time I broke my rule this week was when a Mike's Hard Lemonade fell out of the refrigerator and the top broke off. I couldn't very well pour it down the sink, now, could I?

After this weekend, I plan to focus more time to blog-related activities. You can now get to my blog by just typing in www.blogthatmommy.com. Right now, it just points to my Yahoo blog, but soon, I will be working on a design. (I'm not promising anything quickly because I am determined to try to do it myself.)

I don't know if I will be able to blog tomorrow, but I am sure I will have one hell of a blog on Sunday. With Georgia's party, Heather's engagement party, and the whole famn damily coming in town, I know there will be a lot to say!

No comments: