Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Locked out

Just when I think it's going to be a boring day, leave it to me to create some sort of drama! With two children under the age of five, that's usually not difficult. I have long decided that I can (usually) only accomplish one goal each day. Whether it be vacuuming, laundry or going to the grocery store, usually I can truly only get one thing completed between all the children's activities. Yesterday, that goal was going to the grocery store.

The grocery store is always an adventure with Eli riding on the side of the cart (ala Bob the Builder) and Georgia refusing to sit down. It doesn't matter how tightly I strap her in, that girl can wiggle out of it. I usually have to do most of the shopping pushing the cart with one hand and carrying her with the other.

Yesterday, my plan was to get to the store early and get it over with. Unfortunately by the time both children got up, dressed and fed, it was time for Georgia's morning nap. When she woke up, it was time for lunch, yada yada yada. Needless to say, we didn't leave for the grocery store until 1:30. I was so hurriedly trying to get us out the door, that I grabbed the kids, grabbed my purse, made sure I had the grocery list, and walked out the front door, locking it behind me.

No sooner did it latch than I had a moment of clarity. I try hard not to curse in front of my children, but the situation definitely deserved an "Oh S*#t!!" when I realized that my keys were still hanging on the hook above the kitchen counter. When I uttered my expletive, Eli just looked at me and asked what was wrong. I told him that mommy just locked us all out of the house. He simply suggested, "Why don't you just use your keys?" Apparently a 4-year-old doesn't understand the meaning of "locked out."

I sat down on the porch and started rifling through my purse, with the far-fetched hope that maybe I stuck my keys in there and forgot. After emptying the contents of my purse and finding nothing helpful, I decided to check and see if my car was locked. Occasionally, I get annoyed with Eric because he forgets to lock my car. If it was open, I could get to the garage door opener.

No such luck! The one time Eric remembered to lock the car! And I didn't relish setting off the car alarm attempting to get in my car. The next thing that went through my mind was the thought that maybe I could break into the house. Surely, it can't be that difficult to pick a lock. Unfortunately I didn't have so much as a hairpin. I know people can pick locks with credit cards, but I had no idea how to do that, and I didn't really want to ruin my front door and my credit card trying.

I looked through my purse again and stared at my cell phone. I really did NOT want to call my husband. First of all, it would have taken him about 30 minutes to get home with the keys, and I didn't want to wait outside in the heat with the kids for that long. Second of all, I really did not enjoy the thought of the amusement he would get out of my unfortunate situation, nor did I relish the idea of listening to his comic take on my ill-fated circumstances.

So, what did that leave me with? Aha! My office! There is a sliding glass door in my office, through which Eli runs in and out all the time. I am constantly on him to make sure he locks the door when he comes in. That morning, Eli went outside through the sliding door to get to his swingset. I could only hope!

I looked at him with optimism, "Honey, did you lock the door to mommy's office this morning when you came back inside?" He looked at me, and I could tell he was trying to decide if he should tell me the truth for fear of getting in trouble." Finally he said, "Um . . . no." I'm sure he was surprised at my shout of, "Thank God!" I picked him up and kissed him!

Only one hurdle left. To get to the sliding glass door, we had to get into the backyard. The gates are padlocked, so when Eli plays in the backyard, I don't have to worry about him escaping.

The thought of climbing over the fence did not appeal to me, but luckily, I am strong even though I'm not agile. I explained to Eli that I was going to lift him over the fence, and he needed to go in through the office door and go get mommy's keys off the hook. I told him he was doing me a really big favor. On the count of three, he went up and over the fence. He ran to the office and opened the door. It really wasn't locked. Yippee! He went inside and I waited . . . and waited. Finally, he came back out and said, "I can't reach them." Ugh!

"Well honey," I said, "It's okay to stand on something to reach them." Again, this is something he gets in trouble for because he often uses his Sit and Spin as a step stool to reach things he shouldn't. Of course, that was the moment he decided to remember my warnings. Back in the house he went. And I waited.

A couple of minutes later, out he came with the keys in hand. Yay!!! He told me, "I had to stand on my Sit and Spin to reach them." I said, "That is okay sweetie! Thank you!" He shut the office door, and came back over to the gate, where I lifted him back over. It was not nearly as easy that second time since my adrenaline was starting to dissipate. I gave him a huge hug and told him what a big favor he did for mommy. He saved us from having to stand out in the heat, and he saved me the embarrassment of having to call daddy. For that, I told Eli he could choose anything he wanted at the grocery store for a treat.

He chose sprinkles - the kind that go on cupcakes. Needless to say, today's chore will be vacuuming. But at least there is no danger of locking myself out of the house while completing that task.

1 comment:

livewithrealme said...

Hi! You are the first SAHM blog I feel I can relate to! Yippie! Glad your little one helped you get in the house -- very smart and clever.