Monday, July 28, 2008

Manic Monday - Storm


I love this week’s Manic Monday word – Storm – because this was one I could think of a few things to write about. My mind always seems to go to music first, but I will save that for the end.
I LOVE storms! Mid-summer, late evening thunderstorms are just about the best thing! I have a friend who moved to Seattle who told me that it never thunders there! What?! It rains all the time there, but no thunderstorms?! Dude, that is just not right!

Unfortunately, the storms have recently been working against us. Last weekend when we went out of town, we checked the weather, and there was only a 10 % chance of storms. Uh-huh. That 10 % chance managed to rain on us for the entire 4-hour trip. We even stopped once on the turnpike to look at the radar, and it was raining nowhere else except all along the interstate. Imagine that.

Then, this weekend I have had a serious craving for grilling out on the deck. Two days in a row, it has been perfectly sunny until we are just getting ready to cook out. Then it rains. Last night, the sky just opened up and let out a torrential downpour complete with thunder and lightning right after Eric put hamburgers on the grill, so he had to snatch them up and finish cooking them inside.

I try to pay attention to the weather, but honestly, how much good does that usually do? Even with all of that, I still love thunderstorms, as long as we don’t lose power. That is not cool.

On to the music. I recently made a lullaby CD to play for Georgia when she goes to sleep. One of the songs on it is Over The Rainbow sung by Harry Connick, Jr. (lurve him!). He sings it with a full orchestra, and at the beginning, the orchestra sounds like a big storm is rumbling. I wish I could find a clip of that on YouTube, it is super cool. Anyway, I made a copy of the CD for my 4-year-old niece, and later found out that the storm scared the crap out of her. I guess I need to be a little more careful when making mix CDs for children.

One of my favorite songs is Stay With You by the Goo Goo Dolls. You all know I am a Goo slut, so it shouldn’t surprise you that this came to my mind. The chorus is:

“I’ll stay with you
The walls will fall before we do
So take my hand now
We’ll run forever
I can feel the storm inside you
I’ll stay with you”

Fabulous song, freaking awesome video! See below.



7 comments:

Crazy Working Mom said...

Very cool!

I used to love storms, but I've been in and around too many tornadoes now and I guess after you have kids you fear for their safety. The NOAA weather radio went off today and I got a bit freaked. But, thankfully it was nothing, just some thunderstorms.

Happy MM!

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Love the music video! And yes, a part of me loves storm...yet, it gets scary at times!

Durward Discussion said...

How about Connick singing while Dorothy Hamil skates to Over The Rainbow

I'm living in Washington now and your friend is right ... drip, drip, drip hardly ever a really good bang flash for sound and lighting effects.

Anonymous said...

HCJ rocks...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tink *~*~* said...

You're right, great song! I hadn't heard it in a while - thanks!

:D

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*

Travis Cody said...

It doesn't rain all the time up here. And we had a thunderstorm just a couple of weeks ago too!

Though thunderstorms are rare, I think I recall at least one for every spring I've been here, which is about 4 years.