Monday, July 14, 2008

Manic Monday - Bug


This week’s Manic Monday word is Bug! Yay, a Manic Monday word that doesn’t bug me when I try to think of something to write. (ba doom ching)

If any of you have little boys, you may be experiencing some of what I am going through this summer. My six-year-old LOVES bugs. Actually, it’s not just bugs – it’s pretty much anything that is alive and crawling . . . or flying for that matter. I have noticed that in the last few weeks, my mantra (which was previously “Look with your eyes not with your hands.”) has now become “All bugs stay outside!”

I think I am going to have to alter that mantra just a little bit because Eli is extremely literal. One afternoon I was working on my laptop while the kids were playing in the backyard. Eli comes in and shoves his hand in front of my face and says, “Mama! Look!”

He was holding one of the biggest freaking spiders I had ever seen about two centimeters from my face. Of course, I let out a blood-curdling scream so loud that I’m sure it was heard across town. I’m sorry, but the spider scared the crap out of me. Unfortunately, my screaming scared Eli so much that he jumped . . . and dropped the spider, which went scurrying under the coffee table.

NOT. COOL.

I seriously don’t do spiders! My first apartment in college was infested with daddy long legs. It was like living in Arachnophobia. I hated those damn things. And why is it that spiders like to achieve that element of surprise? They’re always popping up when you least expect it!

But, I digress. After Eli set a spider loose in the house, he said, “But Mama. You said that all BUGS have to stay outside. You didn’t say anything about spiders!” I informed him that included spiders. I said, “No bugs, spiders, roly polies, ladybugs, june bugs, fireflies, or anything that flies.”

So after that, guess what I found out last night? As Eli came in and shoved his hand under my face, saying, “Look Mama!” I realized that I forgot to say worms. *sigh*

5 comments:

Crazy Working Mom said...

You must be very specific on these sort of things, Neila. You should know this by now! *LOL*

Very funny.

Anonymous said...

LOL--yep, sounds a lot like what we go through. Perhaps a terrarium for Christmas this year? Happy Monday!

Durward Discussion said...

When mine were of similar age my daughter liked her stuffed frog. Her older brother wanting to make her happy went to a nearby creek to fetch home a huge pail of pollywogs for her wading pool. We will not discuss the plague of frogs that summer.

Raising children is so much fun.

Mo and The Purries said...

You'd better go ahead and include frogs, toads, and snakes NOW before you get a "but you didn't say anything about snakes!"

Travis Cody said...

Oh no no no no no.