Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Treat Day

Luckily, today was not my day to bring treats for pre-school. After my hangover from the chocolate nachos (yes, I get food hangovers), I don't think I could have handled making treats. But that is okay because for some ungodly reason, I signed up twice to bring treats in late October. What was I thinking? Oh well, I’m sure you’ll hear me bitch about that plenty next month.

You all know that I take treat duty very seriously! I put a lot of thought into those pumpkin muffins I made a couple of weeks ago. I asked Eli what he wanted, I searched for a recipe, and then spent twice as long as it should have taken to make them so Eli could help. Given, most of his help was tasting every ingredient and licking the bowl . . . okay, so I licked the bowl too - that's not the point!

Today, when I dropped Eli off at pre-school, I spotted the mom who was in charge of today’s treats. Are you ready for this? The woman had Goldfish crackers! I’m not kidding. Those were her treats. A box of Goldfish crackers!

I realize that some people either can’t cook or just don’t like to. That is fine. But if that is the case, stop at the Target bakery for crying out loud (awesome cupcakes). Or hell, scrape the Oreo design off a package of cookies and pretend you baked them. At least that would show you put some thought into it! I just don’t understand why someone would sign up for treats if they are going to bring Goldfish crackers. What is even more disturbing is that I cannot seem to let. this. go.

I am a crazy person. And I think I’m partially upset because I practically give myself an aneurism when I have to think up treats every month. Yes, I am obsessive-compulsive. I try to make something somewhat healthy, in the theme of the particular season or holiday. The whole time, I could have saved myself the stress, and bought a box of freaking crackers.

There it is. The true reason for my mental instability over treat day – I didn’t think of it first. I have to make everything more difficult than it actually is. Why do I do this? Is my insecurity so great that I feel the need for acceptance by bringing the best possible treats I can conjure? Again, me = crazy person.

Next month, I am bringing treats the week before Halloween. Twice. I thought it would be fun to make something Halloween-y, and there are a lot of possibilities, right? Four weeks from now, I will be kicking myself. And that is before I lose every shred of sanity over treat day.

I can see it now. After a frantic search for just the right recipe, I will snap and end up curled into a ball on the kitchen floor while Eric shows up at pre-school with a bag of Three Musketeers.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Tag. You're it. (movie meme)