Friday, August 15, 2008

School Supply Lists - WTF?!

Alright dammit, this is like a whole new club that I never knew existed – the club of parents scouring the Wal-Marts and Targets of the city in search of non-existent school supplies. I had no idea this was a problem for every other parent out there.

My biggest challenge has been the 16-pack of Crayola crayons. Now, I get people who tell me, “Oh, I found those at Wal-Mart.” Well, I went to Wal-Mart. They carry an 8-box of crayons, a 24-box of crayons, a 64-box of crayons, and like a 712-box of crayons, but no freaking 16-box of crayons. I looked at Target, Office Max, K-Mart, and finally found them at Staples.

I know, I know. I should have just bought the 24-box of crayons at Wal-Mart, but the supply list specifically says, “16-count box of Crayola crayons – NOT 24-count or 48-count.” Well, f*ck me. I have decided that this is the teachers’ test for the parents. They want to see which parents pay attention and which parents care enough to scour the entire damn city for a box of crayons. My fear? That if I broke down and bought the 24-pack of crayons, it would reflect badly on my son. I didn’t want Eli beginning his school career with scathing looks from his teacher because his mom can’t follow simple instructions, which means he probably wouldn’t be able to either. No, I wasn’t going to put that blemish on his permanent school record.

Next on the list – a 3-pack of dry erase markers. A 3-pack. Dude! They sell 2-packs and 4-packs, but they do NOT sell 3-packs. I swear to God, I looked everywhere for this one. Our solution for this? Eric “borrowed” three dry erase markers from work. Maybe it’s not a 3-pack, but I am really hoping this is close enough.

Today is the big day where we meet Eli’s teacher for the first time. We have all the school supplies ready to bring in, and I have myself in check. I will try hard not to ask stupid questions, be overly sarcastic or use any curse words. The meeting only lasts an hour, so I think I can do it. It will be hard, but I can do it.

Then, the kindergarten teacher can go back to her little club where she sits with the other elementary school teachers making up non-existent school supply items for us to buy next – like a 13-inch ruler or a 7-count pack of all purple Crayola markers.

6 comments:

Desert Songbird said...

Sorry you're having such a bugger of a time finding school supplies. I don't usually have any issues finding what we need, but my suggestion would be to get what you can and tell the teacher, "This is what was available. I thought it best to get this rather than go without."

Besides, the list is probably a suggested list of donations. At least it is in our district; state law here dictates that schools supply all materials needed to make a child's education successful. Donations of school supplies are just that - recommended or suggested donations. Oh, and it states exactly that on all supply lists given out by individual schools in our district.

If that's true for your state and district, don't sweat it. Give what you can.

Gayle said...

We have a list of stuff to buy and then it goes to the class. That's right. I have to buy crayons and markers and pencils for the kid who can't afford it or has a lousy mom who doesn't buy it. Bullcrap. If I buy a bunch of stuff I'd like it to be for my child. Nope. No cool pencils...might make the under-privledged feel bad. No cool pencil boxes. None of the fun I had as a kid getting school supplies. Oh, and I have to supply Kleenex for the snotty kids. Next they will ask for toilet paper. This time of year gets me so wound up. One year I boycotted and didn't send anything for the "community pot". Guess what? No one said a thing. They don't even know it as the kids throw everything in a big box when they come in the door. Oh, it all irritates me so...and I should just ignore it all like my husband does.

Gayle said...

We have a list of stuff to buy and then it goes to the class. That's right. I have to buy crayons and markers and pencils for the kid who can't afford it or has a lousy mom who doesn't buy it. Bullcrap. If I buy a bunch of stuff I'd like it to be for my child. Nope. No cool pencils...might make the under-privledged feel bad. No cool pencil boxes. None of the fun I had as a kid getting school supplies. Oh, and I have to supply Kleenex for the snotty kids. Next they will ask for toilet paper. This time of year gets me so wound up. One year I boycotted and didn't send anything for the "community pot". Guess what? No one said a thing. They don't even know it as the kids throw everything in a big box when they come in the door. Oh, it all irritates me so...and I should just ignore it all like my husband does.

crazymumma said...

Dood.

At least you get a list.

we just get baleful looks when our children are noot equipped with said items.

Crazy Working Mom said...

I had the same problem with the 16 count crayons. Shelby had to take a 16 count AND a 24 count. *sigh*

It's just insane! There was also a sponge tipped glue stick that I scoured the city for. I finally found it at...Staples. :) Whew!

We're all ready for tomorrow. Well, I guess as ready as we're going to be...sniff!

Jennifer said...

I go through the same thing every year. There is always one thing on the list that just doesn't match up with what is available in the stores. I had to search all over Wal-Mart for those stupid 16 count crayons too. I almost just got the 24, because after 4 years of this I could care less what some school administrator thinks about me when they ask for stuff that they sometimes don't even use.