Friday, August 08, 2008

Double Time

Some days I feel like the kids haven’t been out of the house enough, so I try to be a good mom and take them out. Then I remember why we don’t go anywhere. We had three simple stops to make: we had to check on a friend’s house because they’re out of town, we had to get gas, and we had to make a (in theory) quick stop at the grocery store. We were gone two freaking hours. I don’t know why everything has to take twice as long as I think it’s going to.

First, we stopped at my friend’s house. All we needed to do was a quick walk-through. The kids, however, found it necessary to play with every toy they saw in the house. That caused me to run in a panic to put things away only to catch them going through a closet. I got Eli out of the closet, and by the time I drug Georgia out, Eli had discovered the piano. Crap. That stop took much longer than it should have.

Then, we stopped to get gas. Eli can’t just sit in the car. He has to “help” by washing the windows with that damn window cleaner. The problem is that he doesn’t use the squeegee part, so I end up with dirty water all over my windows and dripping down my car. Plus it takes him way longer to “clean” the windows than it does for me to get gas, so we have to sit there and wait on him to get done.

After that, we made our last stop at HyVee where I only had five items on the list. I chose to go to HyVee because they have those shopping carts that look like cars, and the kids will actually ride in them. Well, today when we walked in, there was only one “car” left, and a woman was already situating her five kids in it. Dude! She needed it more than I did. Georgia didn’t see it that way. She stood right in front of them and screamed, “NOOO! THAT’S MINE! I WANT IN THAT ONE!” I had to drag her away from them. It’s always fun when you’re child starts the screaming in the entrance way in front of all the cash registers.

The screaming finally subsided, but since the kids weren’t riding in the cart, they ran around like crazy people. There were tons of samples out today, and the kids went nuts over them, which I find really interesting considering they won’t eat at home. Maybe I should start putting all their food in those little sample cups. Hmmm . . .

So, anyway, two hours later, we walked back in the door, and I was exhausted. I think tomorrow, we’ll just stay home.

8 comments:

Desert Songbird said...

The next time you think you need to get the kids out more, re-read this post. Then you'll just pour yourself a frosty vodka drink and let them run around the house. *grin*

Anonymous said...

I think you just answered your own question...

Thea @ It's Me Vs. Me said...

I think our kids are cut from the same cloth. Seriously, I hate taking my kids out of the house, too.

Not So Anonymous Michelle said...

I know what you mean about everything taking so much longer than it does without kids! I always estimate my arrival time at functions to be at least 30 minutes later than planned since I know I'm not likely to make it on time!

Unknown said...

I think I am addicted to your blog because I am on the edge of my sit waiting for you to yank a knot in your kids. Why cant you control your kids? What is up with that? Yes, I do have kids. No, they are not angels. But, I still dont get it

Mo and The Purries said...

I am SO glad I didn't have that day!
Sending hugs, chocolate and coffee!

Unknown said...

Hey. Just stumbled on your site from, well goodness knows where, and just wanted to say it rained all goddam day today and so we stayed in and had a pyjama day which the kids thought I'd just invented and so a. I got to lounge around and watch the rain while doing nothing but watch TV and eat, b. there were zero tantrums and zero fighting and best of all c. I have shot up several points in their estimation!
The point is, it's always ALWAYS better not to go out!

Ladybug Crossing said...

I also did/do pajama days at home. Oh - they were and still are the best days!

Just this past week we were chatting about how we never went anywhere when the kids were younger. We never went to movies, nice restaurants, or museums that didn't cater to the younger set.

BTW: I have NEVER ever let my kids out of the car at the gas station for any reason - they are 15 and 13.

Checking the house - Personally, I would have left the two of them buckled in the car with the windows open and the keys in my pocket (unless it was a nasty neighborhood. Then - I would establish the Touch Nothing rule before we went in.)

I think you need to establish some rules and be very very consistent with discipline. If you waffle, they will walk all over you. You need to be firm and strong!

My #1 spent a good lot of time in the time out chair...

xo
LBC