Monday, June 23, 2008

Manic Monday - Night


This week’s Manic Monday word is Night. When it came to night, this was one of those weeks that I was overwhelmed by things to write about. I vaguely remember back in the day when my friends and I would go out at night. Dude! Do you remember a time when you didn’t even leave the house to go out until 9:30 or 10:00 p.m.? I can’t even fathom the thought now. Or remember when you would pull all-nighters when you had a final the next day? I don’t know how I ever did that without collapsing in the middle of an exam due to exhaustion.

When you’re a mom, you develop a completely different connection with the night. When Eli was a baby, I developed a whole new relationship with Conan O’Brien, and I was pleased to discover that they re-run the Tonight Show at 3 a.m. (I had no idea!)

I’ve always been a bit of a night owl. There was the partying in college, and then I must have actually slept at night during my 20’s. In my 30’s, I have embraced the night once more because let me tell you, once the kids are in bed, the “me time” starts. Plus, after 10 p.m. seems to be about the only time you can get anything remotely productive accomplished. Here are just a few things I often do at night.

** Have sex – Oh, come on! You were all thinking it. No matter how tired Eric is, he has informed me that I am always allowed to wake him up if I want a little nookie.

** Go shopping – Yes, the grocery store is open 24 hours a day, and you can zoom right through if you go around 12:30 a.m. when no one else is there.

** Watch movies – I don’t think I have had one Netflix movie that we have begun before 9:30 p.m.

** Work – It’s much easier to write freelance articles or work on WikiAnswers when I don’t have children sitting on my lap.

** Read – I am notorious for staying up all night to finish a book.

** Wrap gifts – There are a lot of late nights around Christmas. And since Tuesday is Georgia’s birthday, tonight will probably be a late night, too.

** Special projects - Last night, I made a photo DVD for Georgia’s birthday, which I will post tomorrow on my blog.

** Bake – I am crazy. I always get cravings for homemade cookies at 11 p.m.

** Laundry – I’ll bet I’m not the only one who’s been switching laundry at midnight.

** Play computer games – I do this when I should be working. Damn Facebook!

Sadly, I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. Embrace the night, everyone! And if ever you find yourself up at 2 a.m. and want to talk, give me a call. I will probably be baking cookies.

7 comments:

Sunrunner said...

I work nights too. Sometimes it gets tiring, especially since I'm working weekends.

Unknown said...

That is a great list of stuff. Hubby and watch TV and play computer games at night. He is usually working late so I finish up my CHORES and save the night time for lazines.. SEX? Whats that?



Come check out the night of my blog!

Ivanhoe said...

I'm so a day person, in bed by 11 pm. If I could not get my 7-8 hours of sleep I'd be cranky all day :o)

Gattina said...

I too wonder how I managed to dance till 6 am and be in the office at 8, lol ! Looooong time ago !

Travis Cody said...

I used to do a bunch of stuff at night too. Not so much anymore though.

Happy MM!

Marilyn said...

Wow... you can wake him up any time?

I get to blog at night. And work. And lots of other things on that list.

K.R. said...

Wow, you're schedule sounds exaclty like mine! I can so relate to EVERYTHING you wrote about. Glad to know it's not only me!

http://mommyblogs.typepad.com