Thursday, June 19, 2008

13 Interesting Tourist Attractions on the Way to Western Kansas


1. Grandma Hoerner’s, Alma, KS – Natural and organic jams, jellies and wines.

2. Museum of Independent Telephony, Abilene, KS – Interactive exhibits in telephone history.

3. Eisenhower Presidential Center, Abiline, KS – Family home of Dwight D. Eisenhower.

4. Smoky Hills Winery, Salina, KS – They have good wine. I got drunk on it at the Kansas State Fair.

5. Sternberg Museum of Natural History – They have dinosaur bones.

6. Rolling Hills Wildlife Adventure, Salina, KS – Cool zoo and wildlife museum.

7. Giant Van Gogh painting of sunflowers, Goodland, KS – and it’s on an 80-foot easel.

8. World’s Largest Ball of Twine, Cawker City, KS – 17,320 pounds, to be exact.

9. Garden of Eden, Lucas, KS – This place is just downright creepy.

10. World's Largest Collection of the World's Smallest Versions of the World's Largest Things, Lucas, KS – Traveling roadside attraction and museum.

11. C.W. Parker’s 100-year-old Carousel, Kinsley, KS – Part of the National Center for Carnival Heritage.

12. World’s Largest Prairie Dog, Oakley, KS – They’re cheating – it’s made of stone.

13. Gallery of Presidential Also-Rans, Norton, KS – Celebrates the people who have ran for president . . . and lost.

9 comments:

cindy kay said...

I grew up in Kansas City, KS yet I've never seen most of those things. However I have been to Abilene and seen Eisenhower's home place. And I've been to Goodland, but I didn't see the painting. Must have missed it.

Carol said...

Some of those things sound pretty interesting. Others...not so much. What I really think is interesting is that you've taken time off the beaten path to check them all out.

Fun blog, BTW! And really good T-13!

Yi said...

Great list! :D I'd like to go there someday and have a trip with my hubby. I want to travel as I can. lol. It's been a lifelong dream.

I'll be using this list as a reference of the places to see in America.

Thanks! :D

-Yvie
http://tangerineslullaby.eachday.com

DrillerAA said...

Great list!
I think every state has these wonderful little opportunities for a rest stop during a driving vacation, but we too often fly over them.
Have a great T13

Anonymous said...

Mental note: keep this in mind for when we travel west.

Thanks for the list!

Pretty Life Online said...

Happy TT! Great list here! mine's up too hope you can drop by.

Deb said...

I haven't seen any of these, or even heard of some of them. I love the name of #10 though! :)

Denise Patrick said...

Wow! Some of these actually sound interesting. Of course, I'm the kind of person who would stop at every single one to check it out. I'm hopeless when I'm on vacation. I want to see EVERYTHING!!

Happy TT!

Sunrunner said...

Interesting! There's also a steam powered carousel up in Nebraska. That Garden of Eden thing is creepy!