Monday, April 14, 2008

Manic Monday - Bud



This week’s Manic Monday word is Bud. I’m sure I’m going to see a lot of flowers around the blogosphere this week, but my mind went in a different direction . . . 80’s movies. Yes, I know I’m weird. But seriously, this is what comes to mind.

Bud and Sissy! Dude, no matter how many times I watch Urban Cowboy I still don’t get the appeal of this movie. I do like those Bud and Sissy license plates, but that’s about it. I’ve never been a huge John Travolta fan, so maybe that’s why I can’t get into it. Or maybe it’s just because I have way too many cousins who are the spitting persona of “Bud.” And don’t even get me started on “Sissy” who in the end chooses John Travolta - the guy who only smacks her around a little bit. Seriously, people.

Ultimately, when I think of the word "bud", I think of Sean Penn from Fast Times At Ridgemont High – the ultimate 80’s movie, and one of my favorites!

Here are a few interesting Sean Penn-related tidbits from Fast Times:

** Sean Penn extinguished a cigarette in the palm of his hand in order to better understand his character Jeff Spicoli.

** Sean Penn was asked to read for the part of Brad Hamilton as well as that of Jeff Spicoli.
** During shooting of the film, Sean Penn got so into character that he only answered as Spicoli. In fact, the door on his dressing room was labeled "Spicoli" instead of "Sean Penn".
** Sean Penn asked out Pamela Springsteen, who played Dina, on the set of the movie; she accepted.
** Sean Penn improvised during his takes and tried to find ways to aggravate actor Ray Walston, who played Mr. Hand, even off camera. He also did things to get genuinely startled reactions from the extras who played his classmates through unexpected improvisations.

And now for a clip, so those of you who may be confused on how in the heck this relates to “Bud” can see why this is the first movie that popped into my head. And as a disclaimer, please let me say that this clip is not meant to offend ANYONE!!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya know, I never saw "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" all the way through... just clips here and there.

Great take on bud...Happy MM!

Crazy Working Mom said...

Hah! :)

Great Buds. Perfect choice for this week's theme.

Reba said...

Happy Manic Monday!!! Have a great week.

Reba at Reba’s Run


Alice at I Was Born2Cree8

Gattina said...

I don't know the Bud and Sissi series, only Sean Penn.

Durward Discussion said...

I will go on record as being in favor of anything that makes John Travolta dance. Great MM

Desert Songbird said...

Spicoli was the best part of that movie.

Sandee said...

Valley boy? Don't get it, but I don't watch television or movies either. Weirdo comes to mind with this clip. Didn't offend, just a weirdo. Have a great MM. :)

Travis Cody said...

Awesome! Totally awesome!

Mo and The Purries said...

Dude, that is like totally awesome.