Monday, April 07, 2008

Manic Monday - 1,000

This week’s Manic Monday word (number?) is 1,000. When I heard the theme this week, something immediately came to mind, and it falls in the category of “Ways In Which I Channel My Mother.”

It’s not that I misbehaved badly as a child, but I can often remember my mom saying, “Neila Jo! If I’ve told you once, I’ve told you 1,000 times. Do NOT leave your shoes in the middle of the floor.” Or “Do NOT talk on the phone for more than 20 minutes.” Or “Do NOT hang your bra on the bathroom door knob.”

Whatever it was, the first part was always the same – she had always told me 1,000 times. What does this lead to? Well, let me tell you . . .

“Eli! If I’ve told you once, I’ve told you 1,000 times. I do NOT allow name-calling!” or “Do NOT hit your sister.” Or “Do NOT pull the cat’s tail.” But again, that first part is always the same.

So, here’s the thing. Eli is only five, but already I find him repeating me. Except he has his own take on it – complete with loud sigh, sarcastic tone and eye roll. It goes something like this:

Me: “Eli, do you know what you want for breakfast?”
Eli: *Loud over-exaggerated sigh* “How many times do I have to tell you? 1,000?!” *insert eye roll* “I haven’t decided yet!”

It’s a cycle, I tell you. A vicious cycle!

8 comments:

Mo and The Purries said...

If I told you once, I told you a thousand times, Neila Jo - I love your blog!

:)

Durward Discussion said...

There you were blissfully traveling the road of life and then the "mommy thing" came out of your own mouth ... age has hit another generation.

Unknown said...

Happy MM! That was a favorite saying in my parent's household as well...

My MM meme is up and running.

peace, Villager

maryt/theteach said...

Very good! We all know that phrase...and no wonder the kids pick it up! Ha!:D

Sandee said...

My mother did the same thing. I almost went that way too, but mine wouldn't have been this funny. I got a visual on Eli and the eye rolling part. Bwahahahahaha. Great job Neila. Have a wonderful MM. :)

Sarge Charlie said...

I have been told a 1000 times, thousands of times.

Crazy Working Mom said...

***shakes head vigorously in agreement***

Yes, ma'am I will agree with you 110% on this one. Too funny.

Travis Cody said...

If I've told you once, I've told you 1000 times...Happy MM!

Heheheheheheheee!