Friday, December 29, 2006

The world of make-believe

My son is at the age where he loves to pretend. I think that’s great. It encourages creative thinking, yada yada yada.

His creative skills really spark when we go anywhere with a drop box, such as the bank, post office or library. He loves to drop his “pretend” letters in the mailbox at the post office, and even held up a line of extremely annoyed people last week so he could mail five pretend letters to Sportacus. I considered that better than the time he actually gathered a bunch of scrap paper and trash off the floor of my car and mailed it before I could stop him. But, I digress.

Today, we went to the library, and I just didn’t have the energy to go in and chase Georgia around, so we went to the drive up drop box to drop a few things off.

After I dropped off our stuff and drove away, Eli flipped out because I forgot to drop off his pretend DVDs. To avoid any tantrums, I circled back around, and rolled down my window. Eli handed me his three invisible DVDs, and I had to drop them one by one into the dropbox, and check after each deposit to make sure they actually went down. It was at this point that I looked in my rearview mirror. And saw two cars behind me waiting.

Oh jeez. You should have seen the extremely perplexed look from the woman behind me, which I caught in my rearview mirror. I am sure these people wondered what the hell I was doing. I thought about how this looked to an outsider.

A woman drives up to the drop box, rolls down her window, drops off three invisible items, and then drives away. Classic!

6 comments:

Jules said...

HAHAHA that was awesome!!! I just had to share that with Mike. I just know our kids will be the same way. So many of your Eli stories remind me of Mike; how I imagine he was like as a child. So creative and imaginative. He may make you look like a fool, but I'd take that any day over a kid that wasn't into pretending at all. And it's really nice to see how you humor him and allow him to pretend. You're a very supportive Mommy! :-)

Sparky Duck said...

yep, there calling Homeland Security right now

Anonymous said...

Hey man, if it avoids a tantrum, I say go for it! But I would have been thinking you were crazy if I had been behind you in line! :)

Mo and The Purries said...

I would have liked to seen the postal worker's face when they pulled your scrap papers out with the mail.
I'm sure it was a WTF moment.

But the returning the invisible DVDs -- now THAT's a classic!

crazymumma said...

If I were one of the people behind you I would have thought "oh...she is dropping off invisible 'things' so her child does not have a meltdown".

Classic.
Wish I had been a fly on the wall.

Diana said...

Now that is funny...

The things we do for our kids.