Friday, December 15, 2006

The Christmas Sing



Today was the Christmas Sing at Eli’s Preschool. There is nothing more entertaining than watching a bunch of 3- and 4-year-olds singing Christmas carols. They only lost four kids this year, who ran off the stage at various times crying.

Am I completely warped that I find that incredibly funny. I am, aren’t I? I don’t even know what made the children cry. But, it really is amusing, when in the midst of Jingle Bells, a girl runs off the stage toward her mother in terror. It’s not just me. Eric’s twisted, too. You can hear him laughing on the video.

Eli is always fun to watch because he acts the same when being watched by 100 people as he does when he’s by himself. You have to admire that. At one point, he was turned around backward, bent over, with his shirt half off, trying to reach an itch on his back. I think that was during “God is so Good.”

It was incredibly enjoyable. Even Georgia did fairly well. That could be because we brought a bunch of suckers with us and kept poking them in her mouth so she wouldn’t scream. Yes, I bribe my children with candy. It works. Sue me.

Afterward, we went down to Eli’s classroom where the parents got a “treat” before taking our kids home. I think Eli managed to shove five Christmas cookies in his mouth before I tore him away. Then, he was running around the room playing with all the girls. At one point, he was on the bean bag with the little girl who I mentioned in a previous blog got so excited because she kissed Eli on the tummy.

I pointed her out to Eric, and said, “That’s the little whore that kissed Eli on the tummy.” Unfortunately, I didn’t realize her mother was standing right next to us. Crap. I really need to learn to control my thoughts before they come spewing out of my mouth. And it’s probably just a good rule of thumb not to use the word “whore” while at a church preschool.

Anyway, by the time we got home, the kids were completely worn out. Apparently, performing just took it out of our little star.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bribing kids with candy...hmmm sounds like a great idea if it works! Yeah, I guess using the word whore at the church preschool is not up there on the list of things to do there. Sarcasm is so underrated these days!

Anonymous said...

"That's the little whore" made me laugh out loud. I also love the first picture, where he's obviously trying out his Jedi Mind Trick on the weak-willed. My youngest just had his own xmas program this past week and we found out he's, um, a late clapper. How embarrassing when both his parents are musicians!

Ian

Mo and The Purries said...

LOL
that little whore's mommy got her Christmas pudding early, I'd say!

but yeah, the use of the word "whore" in a church preschool is something I probably would avoid...

SQT said...

Well, the little whore's mommy has an early warning. If my daughter displayed trampy tendancies so early, I'd want to know so I could be on my guard.

Yes siree! She should be grateful to you for speaking up.

;)

Anonymous said...

OK, first of all, I think it's pretty funny too that kids run off crying in the middle of a Christmas song...I mean, is it a scary song?! Second, you telling Eric "there's the little whore" is completely hysterical to me! I mean I almost had diet Coke shoot out my nose!

Sadie said...

*snort*

I laughed out loud at that "whore" comment, too. You're hilarious.

And I would've laughed at the crying kids, too....

Le laquet said...

We lost 3 to mum's laps, I had 1 on my lap with me and 1 wee'd himself! However and far more importantly ... Mary flung Jesus into the manger so hard that he bounced out and fell on the floor!! Mother's these days!

Sunrunner said...

hee hee hee... What did the mom say? I can't really say anything though. One day I went to pick up my daughter from daycare (she was 2), and walked up to find that she'd lined up the boys at the chain link fence and kissed them one by one. Then she hugged the girls on the way out.

Diana said...

Well, if you're extremely warped for that, I don't even want to know what I am. Since I found it wildly funny when the entire gym full of parents, grandparents, and family friends erupted in a chorus of "Ooooooooo.... EWWWW! Awwwwww." When a boy ran off the stage at my daughters Christmas program in an attempt to escape before vomiting and inevitably ended up spewing dinner all over the floor smack dab in the middle of the gym in front of the stage instead. Poor kid. I hope his parents got that on tape for his graduation open house, though. ;)

Jules said...

If she only knew that "whore" is your favorite word - then maybe she'd be flattered! "Ohhh, you used "whore" to describe my daughter?? How sweet!" ;-)