Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Festivities

Okay, being a businesswoman has its drawbacks. I have decided that PayNet Systems is the devil. I ran over $400 in credit card transactions last month for Passion Party purchases, and I have seen nary a dime in my account. No matter who I call within the company, I get transferred to the same sadistic customer service reps who can tell me nothing more than, “Oh, just give it a couple more days.” Grrrrrr!! I am seriously about to open a can of whoop-ass on these people!

I tried to comfort myself by getting in the holiday mood. Eli desperately wanted to make a gingerbread house this year. I had never made one before because my mom always said, “We’re not doing that. It’s too messy.” So, I went out and bought the kit, and we sat down yesterday afternoon to make the gingerbread house.

Unfortunately, the idea of making a gingerbread house was much more fun than actually doing it. First you have to mix up the glue frosting, and then cement the pieces together. Holding them together until the icing “set” was the hard part. Why is that always when I have an itch on my nose? Anyway, Eli wasn’t interested in that part, so I put the house together by myself. Then you had to wait four hours for it to completely set before you could decorate it. Dude! Seriously? Four hours?!

I told Eric that he was up for the decorating because I had enough “fun” with putting the house together. Eli was anxious to decorate, so the boys got out all the candy, and Eli took a handful of gumdrops and went off to the family room, leaving daddy to decorate the gingerbread house all by himself. After much cursing, Eric was finished, and I personally think he did a great job. Are you ready? Here it is!



Eli is very proud of the gingerbread house he made all by himself. Uh-huh.

Then came the Christmas tree. We decided to forego the usual giant Christmas tree this year for a smaller one. That way, it shouldn’t cause as much damage when Georgia yanks it over on herself. The kids and I decorated it this morning, and the top half of it looks awesome. I don’t do the bottom half. Having two children has taught me that you don’t put ornaments within their reach. Unfortunately, Eli will probably be taller than me by next year, so that doesn’t really work with him. But Georgia is eyeing those breakable Hallmark ornaments like they’re a freaking candygram.

Hmmm . . . I know she is planning to climb the tree. I just know it. Maybe a baby gate around the tree would make a nice festive decoration.

5 comments:

Mo and The Purries said...

I think that Eric did a great job on the gingerbread house! Especially after little mister deserted him!

four hours to wait for the icing to set? clearly, this was made by some person who didn't have small children! I would have whipped out the hot glue gun.

and a baby gate around the tree would be great -- like your own little walled christmas city!

Sadie said...

I am just laughing my rear off imagining your baby hanging off the side of a Christmas tree like Tom Cruise climbing a rock face in Mission Impossible 2.

I'm weird, I know. I had a cat once that would climb the tree, around the trunk, never knocked one single ornament off, just got halfway up the tree and hung out. You could see her little eyes glowing through the branches.

Josh said...

Found you on Random Blog. Nice Gingerbread House!

Yeah, I've found that in my line of business the customer service reps people are great with customers but horrible with employees.

crazymumma said...

I am so glad that someone else finds this whole festive season thing hard work. I am already burnt out. Lets just drink and let your Mom do the shopping for us.

Sparky Duck said...

Your a very brave woman. Though it seems your "son" does have some artistic or HGTV decorating flair.

And what about Paypal somehow?