Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Christmas Treats

I always love Christmas treats - as if I need a special reason to make treats. Anyway, there are a few things that I only make around Christmas that I don’t make any other time of year.

The first one is Kix Party Mix. I freaking love Kix cereal! This is the recipe of my godmother who died when I was 11 and she was in her 90’s. Needless to say, it’s an old recipe. I’m going to post it exactly as it was given to me:

Party Mix

1/2 box Cheerios
1/2 box Corn Chex
1/2 box Kix
1 box thin pretzels
2 cans Mixed Nuts
1 cup Wesson oil
2 teaspoons Tabasco Sauce
2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce

Mix together and spread in pan. Bake at 200 for 1 hour and stir every 10 minutes.


The problem here is that cereal boxes today are four times the size they probably were at the time this recipe was written. And pretzels don't even come in boxes anymore. That makes it a little difficult to get the measurements exact, but I think I am getting closer. It’s still really good, even though my measurements are off. I made a huge batch, and Eric chowed down on it the moment he got home. A winner!

Next up were Muddy Buddies, or Puppy Chow, or one of the 50 million other names there are for this recipe. I try desperately only to make it around Christmas time because I make a double batch, and can eat the whole thing in one sitting. It’s dangerous. Especially if you are PMSing.

Crispix Mix

Ingredients
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup peanut butter
6 cups Crispix cereal
1 cup powdered sugar

Directions
1. In large microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate on high for 1 minute. Stir and heat 30 seconds longer on high or until melted when stirred. Sir in peanut butter. Gently stir in Crispix, until evenly coated.

2. Place powdered sugar in 2-gallon zipper plastic bag. Add coated cereal to sugar and close bag. Gently toss cereal mixture until evenly coated.


And now for a random thought. I haven’t posted a video in awhile. For some reason, I was thinking of bizarre movies today, which may have been inspired after I saw the trailer for Rocky Balboa, or as I call it – Rocky, the Senior Years. What is he? Like 70?

But I digress. This is a great trailer for The Shining, but it has been recut and presented as a family movie. You may have seen it. I believe it has been floating around for about a year, but I just came across it again. It’s freaking hysterical!

YouTube is down right now, so I will just post the link.

Here it is! Enjoy!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

those sound yummy!
I am so with you on the Rocky movie. Adam wants to see it, I think its like watching a senior citizen try to be cool. Or somethign like that. I have no interest in that movie! But hey it will make money so they will make it right?
The Shining on the other hand, I cant wait! I love the book. I love love love that movie! I cant wait to see it in the theatre!! thats my must see for the up coming year!

Mo and The Purries said...

Hmmm.... why did they need to remake the shining?
Could anyone top Jack Nicholson?
I mean, it's not like Stephen King needs the royalties...

My my my
you're quite the expert on the snack mixes!
My grandmother used to make the chex mix, too. But no tobasco in it (I don't think).
The puppy chow sounds good, too -- I never had that kind!

As for Rocky Sr -- again, did we really need another Rocky movie? Unlike Sir King, however, old Stallone probably needed the moola.

have a snacky day!
ho ho ho
mo

Scribbit said...

I love those party mixes, I'm also a sucker for the Pub Mix they sell at Costco. Could eat my weight in that stuff I tell you.

matthew said...

those sound good. I like anything that is a "mix". I also like anything in ball form.