1. Raid Ant Killer – Yes, ant killer was the first thing I tried. The problem is that I can’t spray this stuff in the kitchen, which is my problem area, but I have sprayed it all along the doorways and the corners of the floor. The ants don’t seem to mind.
2. Eli – He certainly loves to squish those little buggers. He screams “ANT! I GOT IT!” Unfortunately, there’s only one of him and about a bazillion ants.
3. Clorox Green Works – I have discovered that anything will kill ants if you spray it directly on them. This is what I squirt them with when I see one running across my kitchen countertop because at least it’s non-toxic.
4. Rubbing alcohol – Eric rubbed everything down with alcohol because he read that worked. All it did was give the ants a sterile environment in which to frolic.
5. Vinegar – I read that vinegar was supposed to work so I rubbed everything down with that. It was about as effective as the alcohol.
6. Cinnamon – This was supposed to repel ants. All it did was make my kitchen smell good. The ants don’t care.
7. Black pepper – This is what I’m trying today. I have sprinkled black pepper all around the kitchen floor and the countertops. I’ve seen six ants on the counters since I put it down, so my guess is that pepper is about as effective as the cinnamon.
8. Ant traps – Eric has scattered these all over the kitchen, and I have yet to see an ant actually go inside of one.
9. Chalk – I’m sick of people telling me, “Ants won’t cross a white line.” Maybe not, but they’re damn good at finding a way around it.
10. Outdoor ant killer – This stuff looks like fertilizer that you sprinkle outside. I read that if you kill the ants outside, they won’t come in. Makes sense, right? Wrong!
11. Windex/dishwashing liquid combo – Unless you can spray it directly on them, all it does is create a soapy mess on the counter and give the ants something to bathe in before they head on their way.
12. Mint – Just one more thing that ants are supposed to avoid because they hate the smell. The problem is, repelling the little buggers doesn't work. I want to kill them!
13. Up next: Bay leaves – I’ll try this tomorrow, but I’m not holding my breath.