Friday, March 14, 2008

Where there's smoke . . .

So, my microwave exploded today. Dude! First, it was the furnace, then the kitchen faucet (did I blog about that one?), and now the microwave. At least if things come in threes, I should be done, right?

There I was at lunch, microwaving some Easy Mac for Georgia for lunch when all of a sudden, the microwave buzzed LOUDLY, and the light on the inside got extremely bright, and it started smoking.

Not a good thing.

Luckily, the Easy Mac was close enough to done that Georgia could eat it, but I still had yet to heat up my lunch, which were White Castle hamburgers. I had accepted fairly quickly that our microwave was going bye-bye (I think we’ve had it for at least 10 years), but dammit, I wanted my sliders!

I decided to chance it. I mean, they only had to heat up for 60 seconds. So, I put them in the microwave and turned it on. There was still smoke and the buzzing was getting louder, and this time the inside light got very bright and started flickering. Georgia was fascinated, but I made her stand behind me in case the thing blew up.

I know this wasn’t one of my brightest ideas, but I was really hungry, and I was standing right there ready for action in case I saw flames. I turned the microwave off after about 45 seconds because I was too scared to continue, and unplugged it. My sliders were warm and had a funny taste (probably radiation poisoning), but I ate them anyway.

I called Eric at work and told him that our microwave exploded (okay maybe I’m being melodramatic, but there was a lot of smoke). So, when he got home last night, we headed to Lowe’s to buy a new microwave. The kids couldn’t sit in the cart because we had to put the microwave in it, so that was fun. They climbed all over the riding lawn mowers, cabinets and fake toilets until finally I took them to wait in the car.

Eric checked out with the new microwave. I desperately wanted an over-the-range microwave, but we have cabinets above our stove so that’s not happening. But we did get a very cool microwave that has a child lock on it. Woo hoo! Even though I hate to spend money, it’s always fun to get new stuff. Hopefully this one will last awhile before I manage to set it on fire.

7 comments:

Donna said...

Things DO come in 3's. So you're done. My microwaves never leave in a blaze of glory. Oh no, they gradually lose power and slink off into the night. It usually takes me a year or so to realize they ain't what they used to be.

Desert Songbird said...

Threes count when it involves major appliance replacement or home repairs that cost an ungodly amount of money.

Lois Grebowski said...

Yay! A spark-free microwave. Just keep thinking safety...

Celular said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

the teach said...

Nelia, glad you got a new microwave...I don't think microwaves are anything to fool with. I've tagged you for a "Make a Wish" meme. Come take a look. You know you don't have to do it if you don't want to. :D

the teach said...

Neila, I'm sorry I spelled your name wrong...:(

Mo said...

"...before I manage to set it on fire..."

Bwhahahahahaahahaha Ha

I can SO see you, standing there wondering which would happen first: radioactive sliders or a 3-alarm fire!