Friday, February 29, 2008

Plays well with others . . . not

It’s been a long week. I know I’ve mentioned Georgia’s temper tantrums a few times, and everyone says, “Oh, it’s just the age.” Dude, seriously. How come I never see anyone else’s kids act like this?

Yesterday, for the second week in a row I had to remove her from Gymboree because she began fighting with another little girl over the big Gymbo doll. I only wish you could hear exactly how loud my daughter can scream.

Now imagine the other children cowering in fear of Georgia because of her ear-piercing screams. Meanwhile, she is chasing the girl with the doll and Georgia’s arm is raised, ready to slap the shit out of the other girl as soon as she gets close enough. Luckily, I managed to catch her before she caught the girl and took her outside until her screams subsided to loud wails. Then we went back in and I got “the looks” from the other moms. It would be freaking nice to see someone else’s child have the occasional meltdown for a change.

Today, I decided to take Georgia to music class in hopes that things would go a little better. For the first half of class, she stood off to the side and twirled around in circles squealing. Then, the teacher passed around a little kitten doll. When Georgia got a hold of it . . . well, I won’t go into detail, but needless to say, no one else got a turn.

Then this afternoon, I was on the computer trying to get some work done when I noticed that Georgia had wandered into the kitchen and opened the refrigerator. When I went in to see what she was doing, I saw that she was holding eggs in both hands. At my gasps, she dropped them and ran. Crap.

After all of this, I just wanted to sit down tonight and watch Lost, to which I am horribly addicted. At that moment, the children decided to stand in front of the TV, twirl around in circles and scream.

Dude. I need a Tivo . . . and a drink . . . and some chocolate.

8 comments:

1stopmom said...

Oh my goodness, it sounds like you are having one of "those" days :) It is nice to know my kids are not the only ones who sometimes act like they have lost thier freaking minds. LOL But that chocolate does sound good.

happy-beany said...

Oh dear.. sounds like loads of fun. I think kids have a conspiracy, taking it in turns to be a complete nightmare!

Ladybug Crossing said...

I remember when...
Have you considered just taking her home or putting her in time out when she acts like that? My #1 spent a lot of time in time out. He got the message. It wasn't fun, but he learned.
If my children acted up in gymboree, I'd put them in the car and take them home. They'd then sit in the chair and think about how awful their behavior was. I only had to take #1 home from a party once. He still remembers. He has never shamed me again.
#1 rule: Don't shame your mother.

Good luck!
LBC

Anonymous said...

You can catch it on the ABC site. It was a really good eppy.

Desert Songbird said...

*hands Neila a good, stiff drink*

Here, have at it, girlfriend.

Ivanhoe said...

Sorry, I wish I could give you some advice... I am not sure how to handle that, but I am sending you a drink :o) Cheers!

Sandee said...

Humans, no matter the age, will do what they can get away with. Consequenses are important. If there aren't any consequences for bad behavior then there is nothing for them to lose and everything to gain. Their will, power (over you) and the like. They have your number and use it to get your goat. It seems to be working well. If it's bad now, wait until they are teenagers. They will have completely taken over your life. I know. I made sure that my son had a healthy fear of me. The consequences for bad behavior were fair, but I always followed through. He did the same with his kids. Children can be so selfish and cruel. Have a great day and a big hug. :)

Not Your Regular Mini Van Mom said...

Oh I remember those days. I always wished that just once it would be someone else's kid that was freaking out. LOL. You deserve the drink...and the chocolate!