Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Where's my calculator?

At 5 years old, my son is quickly developing a love for math. I’m sure of one thing. He doesn’t get that from me. I’ve always been good at math, but it’s never been something I would say I actually enjoy. At all.

In fact, this is probably one of our biggest differences. I always loved words. English was my favorite subject. I can’t get Eli to understand that G makes a “guh” sound, yet he knows that 10+10 = 20.

This morning I found him huddled on my bed with his pumpkin bucket sorting his candy from his weekend take. He was counting how many Kit Kats he had, how many Reeses he had, how many Skittles, and then adding them all together.

Not only that, but while we’re in the car driving, I feel like I’m in the middle of a pop math quiz. As soon as we get in the car, he starts asking me, “Mama, what’s 2+3? What’s 15+8? What’s 18+18? What’s 100 + 1? What’s 196 +35? What’s 1200+39700?”

Okay, I have a lot of hidden talents. But one of them is most certainly NOT doing math in my head.

At that point, I really thought I was going to have to dig my calculator out of my purse at the next stoplight. They say driving with a cell phone is distracting. You should try driving with a 5-year-old quizzing you on simple addition.

6 comments:

Deb said...

LOL - I feel the same way! Thank goodness my hubby is a math whiz - he talks 'math stuff' with my oldest all the time. :)

Anonymous said...

Doing math in the head is a true talent -- one that I lack as well.

Not Your Regular Mini Van Mom said...

I completely understand where you are coming from. I have twin 5 year old boys and they too have discovered "math". Before they knew how to count, if one of them got 6 crackers and one got 5 crackers, no big deal. Now that they know how to count EVERYTHING has to be counted to make sure they both got the same amount!

Blessings from above said...

Too cute. It is awesome the thrills we have through raising our children. There comes a time when we are no longer giving advice we are taking it. :) Good luck
lilraskels.blogspot.com

Mo and The Purries said...

Does your cell phone have a built-in calculator?
That would really be combining some talent - driving with Eli while doing math on your cell phone!
:)

(I can't do most math in my head either, but he longer I'm in retail the better I am at making change without needing the register)

Angie said...

Sounds just like my son (he's 9).

Just a few tips I've picked up while hanging out in our elem. school:

Start asking him questions in the form of math story problems. Example: We have 4 plates and 4 cups on the kitchen table. How many do we have all together? Also, have him start counting by 2's, 5's and 10's.(something he can do while counting H'ween candy) Sounds silly but they do it in Kindergarten (I'm guessing that's what grade your son is in). They are pushing math really hard in schools these days. My son has homework in this subject every night.

Oh one more thing. If someone in your house/family knows how to play chess have them teach it to your son. My son has been playing since he was 5 and he's pretty darn good at it. I think it has something with the way his brain works. He's great in mental math just like Eli. We bought Jacob a chess set that has plastic pieces that show arrows in the direction the pieces can move. (I don't know how to play...and I really stink at math)

Enjoy your math wizard. Pretty soon he'll be balancing your check book.